Kiwanis Club of Midland History
The Kiwanis Club of Midland was chartered in July 1921. It was the 18th Kiwanis Club in Michigan.
The Club acquired and refurbished Camp Neyati on Crooked Lake (near Farwell, MI) in 1938. The original purchase was 92 acres in size with 2,000 feet of water frontage.
In 1944, the Club participated in the definition and implementation of the current City of Midland water supply system from Lake Huron. Previously the city water was obtained from the Tittabawasee River.
In 1959, the Club established the Midland Kiwanis Foundation. The Foundation provides grants to local tax exempt organizations and groups.
The Club was instrumental in the design, funding and construction in 1966 of Cleveland Manor, the first affordable Senior Housing development in Midland.
In 1967, the Club sponsored the organization of the Kiwassee Kiwanis Club in Midland.
During the time period of 1991 to 2005, the Club actively participated in the purchase and installation of playground equipment at the Salvation Army, Plymouth Park, North Midland Family Center, West Midland Family Center and the Shelterhouse.
In 2006, the Club provided the intial funding for the Imagination Library Program in Midland County. The program is designed to promote basic reading and literacy skills in young children. Free age-appropriate books are supplied to every child from birth to age 5.
Join us to "Help Make a Difference" in the future!